Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Angels and Faith

Today while doing nothing I thought, "What caused the people of Enoch and Alma the Younger WANT to change?"

So... My scripture study for today consists of TRYING to find the answer. I emphasize the word "TRYING" because unlike my questions of yore I'm not going to continue looking TODAY until I found the answer. I found a partial answer, and I'm going to control myself from staying up all night tonight searching for the ENTIRE answer as I used to do. Nor did I put off my chores and time with the kids with an (I felt) justified answer of, "I'm doing my scripture studies!" Instead I'll continue my search tomorrow because I believe the counsel found in Ecclesiastes 3. You know, "To everything there is a season... " But, for now here's what I've found... (PS- Mom, be sure to read all of that to Dad. I think he'll be pleased.)

I thought about what Enoch and Alma the Younger had in common. They were both visited. Alma the Younger by an angel, and Enoch by the Lord. I would have thought that was enough, but then I remembered that Laman and Lemuel were also visited by an angel, and we all know how that turned out. Then I remembered the prayers and faith and heartache of Alma (the older). I read in Moses 7:13, "And so great was the faith of Enoch that he led the people of God..." So, I know that A LOT of faith was a part of the redemption of these souls, but Lehi, Nephi, and Sariah had a GREAT deal of faith,and again- Laman and Lemuel...

So... what's the difference between Laman & Lemuel and Alma the Younger? Anyone? Seriously, does anyone know where I can find the answer? I know... pray and keep studying, but if anyone has a clue... I'm totally happy to take it in...

That's it for today. I promise.

1 comment:

  1. I think the difference between Alma the Younger and Laman/Lemuel is that Alma was eventually brought to a place of humility, where he was willing to acknowledge that what he did was wrong AND change for the better, putting aside the things that made him wicked earlier. Laman and Lemuel had many advantages in life, but they were never humble--and look where their self-serving ways got them. Having a child who has gone astray I've read every (I think!) scripture related to parenting and agency. The hard reality is that as a parent you can do everything right, but when it comes down to it some children will still choose another path. Same thing with friends, family, etc. You have to learn to let people be who they are, even if they make bad choices. For me, letting go was much, much harder than trying to fix--but it eventually got me a sense of peace that frantically trying to do all the right things never got me.

    ReplyDelete